Granite countertops are the hallmark of any kitchen. However, many people don’t know how to thoroughly clean them. If you want your kitchen or home to remain sparkling clean, here are the best techniques on how to properly clean your granite countertops.
• For general cleaning of the countertops, fill a small bucket or sink with warm water and dish soap. Warm water kills the germs and the dish soap disinfects the countertops effortlessly.
• Use a clean cloth to wipe the countertop once every day. Remove all the appliances on the countertops to make it easier to clean. You should dip the wash cloth in the warm water and dish soap mixture to clean thoroughly. Rinse the cloth with clean water and wipe the area again to avoid leaving a soapy residue.
• When disinfecting your granite counters, use rubbing alcohol and water. Make sure you spray the solution every few days and let it sit in the granite for 5 minutes for the best results. Use a clean cloth to wipe the granite countertop dry.
• If you want to clean your countertops without damaging them, you should avoid acidic cleaners. These include ammonia, lemon, or vinegar. They tend to break down the granite. Also, you should stay away from commercial cleaning agents that contain bleach. However, you can use citrus essential oil to clean your countertops because it has a neutral PH.
• If there are any spills on your countertops, you should blot them using a paper towel. Don’t wipe the spills since it will move it around. Remember, water can also leave spills on the granite so you should wipe it off immediately. Make sure you use a clean paper towel.
• Also, you can clean spills using hot water and dish soap. Wipe the area using a clean cloth for the best results. If the stain has been left on the countertops for a long time it is probably dried up. Therefore, you should pour some water on it to make it soft then wipe down properly.
• Have you spilled any oil on your granite countertop while cooking? Well, baking soda is your best bet to remove the stain completely. Add some baking soda to water and spread the mixture on the stain. Use a clean cloth dipped in warm water and dish soap to wipe the area. It’s a good way to clean new and old oil stains effortlessly.
• Do your kids tend to spill juice on your granite counter tops? Well, if you don’t want to damage it, you should clean using hydrogen peroxide. Note that, depending on the juice, it is likely going to leave a mark on the countertop. Mix hydrogen peroxide with water and rub the stain with a soft cloth to remove it completely.
• If you want to prevent further stains on your granite, you need to seal it. Before doing so, you need to clean and dry the countertop completely. The sealer doesn’t adhere properly if the granite countertop is still wet. You need to wait for 10 to 15 minutes before applying the sealant. Choose the right sealant for your granite countertop for the best results.
If you have granite countertops in the kitchen area, you need to keep them clean for many reasons.
• To preserve the countertops and avoid repair or replacement. If you take good care of them, they will last a very long time.
• To prevent accidents in the kitchen. If there is a spillage on the countertops, it could fall to the floor leading to a serious slip or fall for anyone in the kitchen. It’s very serious especially if you have a lot of kids in the house.
• To avoid diseases and bacteria. Your kitchen is where you prepare food for the family and sit down to eat. If you are preparing food on dirty counters, you are transmitting illnesses to the entire family. Take the time to clean and disinfect your countertops as mentioned above to avoid any health related issues.
Granite countertops are very beautiful but you need to clean them thoroughly to maintain their aesthetic value. With these tips, your countertops will always be sparkling clean and beautiful.